Friday, November 1, 2013

It's Friday!

How do I know it's Friday?  Well, it's the Muslim holy day, and they were sitting in rows outside the mosque down both cross streets listening to the sermon... at least I think it was a sermon.  They were just sitting there, not bowing to Mecca.  But, it was unusual to see everyone facing the same way.  I didn't have my camera at the ready, so cannot share an image with you.  I'm always learning something new.
The local produce aisle...

It continues to be lovely here - although the smog is accumulating and diminishing the blueness of the sky.  While I was driving to the suburbs today, the smog was an obvious presence, more so than in LA.  I wonder if there is an inversion here, like in LA.  That would make sense - the geography is similar. 
Tobacco for sale

OK, down to business.   We've settled accounts with many of the people we are working with in the suburbs, and have visited with them a couple of times.  They have started new projects that I brought, and will diligently work on them.  Hopefully, they will be finished on Monday when I introduce new designs.  We are working on several things - looking for things which will be sold here.  There is a panayer (fair) in one month, and luckily (as God already knew), I have something that my friends can make and perhaps sell.  It would be good for them to learn to sell what they make.  We've tried crocheting scarves - they look good.  We have doll sweaters - they look good, too.  We've discussed various types of bags and clothes, and lots of other things to make and hopefully we will have lots of merchandise in one short month.... now, if only we can get into the panayer!  Wouldn't that be exciting?
My friend raved about this

See where it is made!
Spent last evening with a group Roma women and Julee.  I was asked to share my testimony and then we made Debbie's rings.  They LOVED them!!  Debbie, I am having difficulty getting the right size!  I will be with another group of Roma women next weekend and will again make Debbie's rings.

And so the West comes to Albania
I've spent quite a bit of time "hoofing it."  One of the first things I saw was this advertisement for IVF (In Vitro Fertilization), offered at the Spitali Amerikan.  Now, it is a hospital invested in by Americans, run by Albanians, and physician staff is Turkish.  So, it's hardly "The American Hospital."  I have learned that it, along with others, "ambulance chase"... that is, they pay taxis and ambulances to bring the injured to their ER.  While that happens in the US, by and large, the patient is taken to the closest appropriate ER.

This offer is that for 2200 Euro, they will try twice to implant eggs.  The "flip side" shows what you can get with a little more, but is in Lek.  For 85,000 Lek (about $850), they will take care of all prenatal care, the birth, 6 months of pediatric care, and a thyroid test on the infant.  For 20,000 fewer Lek, you get all the same, except only 3 months of pediatric care and no blood test.

Talking about hospitals, I have found out some interesting facts about the abandoned hospital.  I have been told where it is (now I just have to have plenty of time to walk there... it is a long way), may get a tour, and have learned a little about medical care here.  So, as you may remember, one of my dreams would be to have this hospital open, honest, patient centered, and a place that interns/residents and fellows in training from the US would come to train themselves and to be an example for and provide training for local physicians not only with their competency but also with their approach to patients.

OK.  I always seem to go off when I get on the blog.  I share all of my dreams... most of which probably will never come to fruition.  But, if we don't dream, then nothing will ever happen. 

I'm off to Vlora to spend some time with Dori's family this weekend... we'll see what the weather is like.  It should be in the 70s there, too.  Hopefully, it will be good weather. 

You know, peoples' lives keep getting in the way of all the things I want to do here - each trip is so unique!  But, isn't that what it's all about?  Peoples' lives.








1 comment:

  1. Bless you Sharon! I pray your cold will just disappear. What a treat it has been reading your blog, makes me feel as though I am there with you.

    ReplyDelete