Sunday, November 4, 2012

A busy day, then a stroll...

Actually, I thought that I had last posted on Friday, but I see that my last post was Thursday.  So, let me bring you up to date.

 Anila (right) seemed to catch on quickly
Everyone is busy!
Friday was a great day, spent primarily at the International Christian Assembly - a wonderful church across from the Iranian (I think) embassy and around the corner from CCC.  We had about ten women who did both the hot pad and the pillow, of all ages, and a few hearty souls stayed until they were essentially done... about four or five hours.  Of course, we didn't begin on time, one of the three machines was malfunctioning (so we only had two), and only one iron.

The malfunctioning machine was sounding just fine after a  cleaning, but I didn't have a chance to clean it until the group was almost gone!  Everyone seemed to enjoy the time together, though, and we are getting together again this coming Friday to complete the pillow and work out the "kinks" for our visit to the prison. 

We have not yet found out how many women will be able to go to the prison, and we have a couple who have not yet done the pillow, so that will be something to work on this week.

After the ICA, we had a chance to meet a variety of people involved with the ministries in Bathore and with the magazine, Ilira - more later.

For Bonnie!
Saturday, the Pashos invited me for lunch and evening church.  It was a good opportunity to catch up with them, see their new home, and deliver some things we carried over.

The day was absolutely spectacular as I set out for the trek.  Because it was so nice, the going was slower than usual; the sidewalks were filled with people and vendors.  I decided to try to highlight some of the things along the way which reminded me that I was not home...  Albania is such a special place!!
First, I wanted to show that pets are becoming more common... I've seen more dogs being walked than before; dogfood is highlighted in more and more stores!  This pet store is for Bonnie... it looked prosperous, and had a couple of dogs (to the left of the steps) as well as cats for sale.  I hate seeing dogs in such small kennels, though.  Compared to the emaciated female dogs with hanging tits and protruding ribs seen along the streets, these look healthy and well fed.


A coffee
 The The first thing you notice along the route is the number of coffee shops with tables along the sidewalk.  People are busy talking and having "a coffee."  Notice, also, the bikes and (you can't tell from the photo) motorcycles parked along the street's edge.
But, you have to be alert!  Danger can lurk along the way.   The sidewalk is not necessarily always in good repair, and dangerous areas rarely marked.

Store fronts can be below the sidewalk, at street level, or above (see the spiral stairs in the back?) going up.  These can protrude into the walkway.

You can get almost anything done - even buy fabric.  The store below on the left is probably a seamstress shop, but this is how fabric is often displayed.

Notice the lack of handrails; it would not be unusual to see the entrance to the tattoo parlor (right) without the glassed in area above its entrance.  Having this kind of protection is becoming more common.

Vendors set up anywhere - farmers from the surrounding villages, or people with a garden in town.  They can be on the sidewalk, an alley, along a fence... wherever there is an open space (to the right). 

Conversations along the way are also common - notice the two men on the left below, one with a bicycle?  I waited for several minutes while they chatted at a bottleneck in the route!


The food stand to the right is fairly stable (outside an open air market)... if you look hard, you can find another vendor in the back who is sitting and "covered," though her eyes are not.


Thursday, for the first time here, there was a woman on the street who was completely "covered."  She had black from the top of her head to her toes, though I assume she could see through her face covering.  There is this reaction in me - it's as if the person under all that material isn't a person at all... just a ghost, or a shadow, or a "negative image," a vacuum.  She was tall and stately, walking with her husband.  I wonder what God thinks of covering up half of those made in His image.

At any rate, finally made it to the Dori and Alban's - they have a new house which is absolutely beautiful!!!  So, I will leave you wondering about that, and will close for now.

Take care!  Pray for the people of Albania! 

Mirupafshem!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post and great pictures!! Question. Does the irradiation they use to kill the bacterian in milk break down the lactose? I hope so, have a coffee for me. :)

    Love you!!

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the second (or third time)... what with trying to clean up mistakes and everything...

      I've had some inadvertent lactose somewhere, so won't be trying any irradiated milk any time soon! But, will have a coffee for you...

      Delete
  2. Oh, bother! I sure am not a computer nerd. I thought I was replying, but noticed I made a whole new comment. So, I tried to delete that and move my comment to the "reply" area. Now see what's happened!

    ReplyDelete