Thursday, November 8, 2012

OK, here's something to pray for...

OK, I hear the call to prayer for the faithful!  It's 5:25 in the morning, and I've been up for about 2 hours already... I woke up with a sore throat and drippy nose.  I have so much on my plate over the next few days, even though I know a cold is only a bother, I sure would love some prayer from out there that this blasted virus would find something else to do... preferably without involving another person.  Thanks!!

It's been a busy time. 

Monday was a wonderful fall day - clouds flitting by, crisp but warm.  Krystal and I were to check out the "bead" store here, and spend some time together.  I'm trying to find beads for a project I am hoping will work out for the widows. 

Krystal had to stay home (something about a four-legged friend), so I met her teammate, Marcella, and we headed to the store.  It turns out that this is the same store I had visited last time... it is the bead store, the notions store, the store for embroidery floss and whatever you could possibly want.

Well, I must say, the beads were displayed in an interesting way.  There were about 15 women in about 12 feet of space with walls that move and myriads of little plastic drawers, some with three compartments, each with a different type of bead or feather or some other small adornment.  Some of the drawers were probably six feet high (remember I am vertically challenged) and the colors a little different in style from ours.  Gosh, I didn't even think to take a picture (I really am not a photographer at heart!).  Unfortunately, beads and crystals (which are beautiful) were fairly expensive... so I need to keep looking. 

Marcella invited me to her home; she was expecting her housekeeper, Ela.  Apparently, it is fairly common for Ela to come with her daughter, Fatiama, a 12 year old not attending school. 

Marcella and I talked a lot about the Roma culture, and I can't wait to share some of it (although I am sure that there is so much more that I don't yet know... if I ever will).  We spent the afternoon doing crafts with a neighbor, Fatiama and Julee, anothter long-term missionary who stopped by...  we made the necklace that Kathie taught me on our last trip.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it, and Fatiama learned how to crochet.  I doubt if this will blossom into a cottage industry, though, for a variety of reasons.  Marcella, Julee and I talked about vocational and outreach ideas, and agreed to continue to brainstorm.

Well, I think I'll stop here and pick it up later... it's been awhile since the call to prayer, and I can hear the world waking up!

Pafshem! 


*Or, for Mike, "in that universal sign language at which I have become so adept."

No comments:

Post a Comment