Thursday, November 1, 2012

It might be easier without photos...

Well, that was an experience - like none other I've had making these blog posts.  I was having trouble with text and photos, they were bouncing around, and I couldn't control the margins or spacing!  But, because I haven't taken a photo either yesterday or today, this post should be easier.

Yesterday I met with Krystal, a Christar missionary to the Roma here and a friend of Linda's.  How energetic!!!  It seemed like I had known her for years, and she understood the vision God has given me, even though my explanations were even more muddled than usual by my jet lag.  She is currently serving several different communities - including two Roma groups - a complex thing to do in this culture.  At any rate, there are many who lack marketable skills in her communities.  While her husband focuses on the men, her focus has been on the children, young girls and women.  Even here in Tirane, among the Roma, the girls get married early - often around 13 - and marriages rarely last a lifetime. 

Most of the children, though required to go to school, don't.  Often, the only "skill" they learn is begging.  Parenting skills are not a priority, "houses" may not have floors or walls, most eat one meal a day, if that.  Does this sound a little chaotic?  It does to me.  The plight of the Roma was much better under Communism - they were literate, and discrimination was officially not allowed.  However, now that the "heavy hand" is gone, people have reverted to age old prejudices and the Roma are ostracized.   Krystal says that even the "Albanian" community is stratified, based on income, I guess.  Enough!

So, another community that could use marketable skills for the women - those deserted or divorced by "husbands" (they are often not legally married at the outset) - most with children.  It sounds like Krystal (and her compatriots) have made inroads into the two Roma communities that they serve, and we strategized on how to introduce something that could blossom into an income for some of her friends.  I will be seeing her and two of her partners on Monday - we will check out beading supplies here, and I'll introduce a "craft" I brought over to give to the widows in Bathore... knitting jewelry.  Depending on their ability, these resulting pieces may be marketed in the US.  In addition, Krystal may have space for some sewing machines and a seamstress.  We'll see..

Today, I met with Suela, Anila and Lisa to check out the facilities at the prison.  It seems we may have a big enough group of Christian women who will commit to monthly visits; there are ten treadle machines (not all in working order) at the prison and random supplies (thread, etc.).  The women in prison appear willing to begin this new venture!  We sat around for an hour or so, and answered questions, discussed the project, talked with staff, and so on.  Suela will talk with the authorities to assure them of our intentions.  So, that was very productive, I thought.  Although we were not allowed to take photos today, I have been assured that we can take some during the class.  For the initial steps in this ministry, I think things went really well.  More later.  One thing I will share, is the sigh of relief when they let us out!

After that, I had an opportunity to strategize with Migena.  Remember Migena?  She is a wonderful woman who has a heart for widows in her country; I met her last spring, along with Kathie and Rhonda (both of whom traveled with me, if you recall).  The stories of many of the widows sound like the Roma above, and, in fact, I suspect many of them are Roma.  At any rate, perhaps you recall that Migena has, single-handedly, begun a ministry to serve some of these women, having had meetings for them monthly for probably the last year, more or less.  She has recently begun monthly food distribution to about thirty families which has been financed through several sources.  It is primarily through her efforts that she has brought quite a few to know the Lord.  For instance, she helped an older widow visit her recently widowed and pregnant daughter in Greece.  Through that relationship, both the mother and daughter, as well as other family members have come to know our Savior.

Recently, Migena organized a meeting for about 25+ widows featuring Martha, an author from the States who traveled here to lead a seminar for Christian leaders.  Martha's visit was facilitated through the efforts of CASMI (Come and Sew Ministries International), a sister ministry headed by my spring-time travel partner, Kathie.  Through their efforts, all of the attendees professed a belief in the Lord at the end of that meeting.  Migena is currently following up with everyone to make sure that they are "plugged in" to a church and to discipleship.

Migena has also worked hard, along with Dava (a widow), and Ida (a seamstress), to begin a ministry to teach widows a marketable skill - sewing.  Through the generosity of a grant from CASMI, they were able to obtain some sewing machines and are busy with weekly classes.  It was due to their ministry in Bathore to the widows there that Ida felt God nudging her move her sewing business to Bathore so that she could not only be closer to the widows she is teaching, but also to model a Christian business!

Recall that I brought with me a way to knit jewelry (above)...  Migena and I discussed the potential for this to become income-producing... there may be a way to market finished items in the States.  And, there were some other potential skills (some that I picked up at the Market) that might translate into income-producing ventures, so we talked a lot about those.  We had lots of ideas, some of which may actually see the "light of day."

So, with Migena, we will have a busy couple of days - visiting the staff of Ilira (a Christian magazine here for women) Evis (the director of the center I visited last spring in Bathore), and others.  God has placed such a heart in Migena, and I am proud to have her as my friend.

OK, I'm going to try to catch a few winks now that it is 4:30.  Pray I can fall asleep, and that this jet lag thing will plague someone else... not me.  Oh, bother, just pray it goes away and doesn't plague anyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment