Thursday, March 19, 2015

The trip over... Mar 18 to 19

It's been a long day... or has it been two?  Or somewhere in between.

It was a beautiful day in Santa Maria as we took off... arrived 2 hours early for the flight, and waited for eons before the check-in desk opened.  We had the nicest stewardess!  The flight was short, smooth, and landed in LA.  The walk to the International Terminal was a relative breeze, there being relatively few pedestrians, but a great deal of construction!  Apparently, they are building something new there...  seems to be an ongoing situation.

Check-in for the long-haul flight went relatively well, but they had to pat me down during the secruity check.  From then on, it has been one interesting experience after another.

Could hardly keep my eyes open from LAX to Germany - slept about 7 hours, I would guess - but in spits and starts.  Found out that my seatmate on the flight had started in Hawaii for a student trip to Rome and environs.  When they left Honolulu, they had not been able to get a boarding pass on Lufthansa, he said, because of "the Lufthansa strike."  The Lufthansa strike, I queried.  Oh, yes, one of those strikes like they have in Europe, he said.  It turns out that the strike which we barely missed in the spring has continued on an intermittent basis.  The trade union actions have increased recently, with pilots now refusing to fly certain flights.  It turns out they shut down most long-haul flights on the 18th, and were planning to do it again on the 20th.  On the 19th, they shut down short-haul flights within Europe.  Well, I had my long-haul trip on the 19th (when short-haul flights were being shut down) and my long-haul flight on the 18th (when the opposite occurred).  So, God was watching out for me!  Now, if they can just get this thing settled before our next flight home, I'd really be happy.   I wonder if John Kerry could do anything???

Got off in Munich, and had a 5 hour layover.  I had planned to visit a local village nearby, but figured I was simply too tired, and it would be more fun with someone else rather than alone.  So, I read, had a Coke ($5, no refill) and a pretzel, and caught up on the news.  Munich now has WiFi, and it is unlimited!!!  Didn't think about blogging.  Finally found my gate, which was posted at last, and sat down to wait at the gate.  I simply could not keep my eyes open a moment longer.  So, for only the second time in my life, I fell asleep while waiting for a plane!  And, I really mean fell asleep... the typical "head jerking" falling asleep.

Typical flight with Austrian. Down a couple of flights to the tarmac, loaded onto a bus to be ferried out to the plane, then wait before the doors open with a couple of jerks for good meausure, and a crowd of thousands around the base of the steps to the plane.  I managed to have a window seat with a vacant seat next to me.  Without much warning, my stomach started telling me it was hungry - had not felt at all hungry as I waited all those hours!  While Austrian generally gives a sandwich on the flight, guess budget cuts have even hit Europe!  Just a few crackers.  So, growling stomach in tow, I got off in Vienna (new buildings allowed us to walk off the plane and into the terminal without a bus in between - WOW!  These small conveniences are very important when you carry all of your clothing and sundries in your carry-ons.).

Well, they said it was a 20 minute walk to my gate, so decided I should probably get a little closer to the gate before I settled down for a bite.  Here is my $15 "dinner."  A Coke and a rather dry sandwich of zucchini, mushroom and parsley.  But, it satisfied my tummy.

Now, an hour or so to wait for my last flight.  It was good to have WiFi in Munich, though, because I could communicate with Qendra Stefan as well as my friends in Tirana to make sure all was well. 

OK, the next surprise.  I haven't told you.  Well, one of the  things that I have begun to expect is a new security inspection each time I enter a new country.  But, this trip, I haven't had to undergo any further inspections after the pat down in LA!  That has kept my possessions relatively organized in my satchel and much easier to handle from flight to flight.  I have no idea why things have changed... go figure!  Katie, I don't guarantee they won't reinstate the security checks before you get here, though.

Hoping to have a few more interesting photos over the ensuing days.  But, wanted to give you a hint of what a stimulating experience it is to fly for over 24 hours!  Can't wait to stretch out... my body is not sure whether to sleep, be hungry, or whatever.  All I know is that it rarely gives me warning at this point.  I'm fine one moment, and the next I am asleep... or whatever!  Is it my age?  Or, is it just traveling?

Mirpafshim!




2 comments:

  1. Wowzers!! So many adventures just getting there! I can't wait to read more as your trip continues:) night night💤💤

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you are HERE! Got to see you for a few minutes today in between meetings. Can't wait to have a coffee when we both get a minute. Thanks for all the goodies too.

    ReplyDelete