Thursday, April 26, 2012

OK, so is any day in Albania "chill"?

So far, I have forgotten what it means to "chill."  I can hear the first call to prayer this morning, the 27th.  We will go to Berat today... later, I'll post some information on Berat.  You may have noticed that I have had some trouble with the blog... I never claimed to be a computer nerd!

Moms in Prayer with Kathie (l), Rhonda (r)
Yesterday!  What a day!  We were up early (so what else is new?), had breakfast, and then took off for CRU - Campus.  We were to meet with Moms in Prayer.  There was a group of four wonderful moms who had been communicating with the headquarters of Moms in Prayer and have formed a small group to pray for their children and their teachers, friends and schools.  Kathie encouraged them with stories about the prayers for her own children and grandchildren which have been answered over the years.  And, as is so wonderful about Albania, there was quite a spread!  Including a cake without diary (for me).  How cared for I feel!  Then, off to meet with social workers who minister through a Christian organization to two women's (and one men's) prison here in Tirana.

I have had the privilege of speaking with one of their colleagues in the past, but she has married and  moved to Texas.  Since my conversation with Eriola, these energetic young women have expanded their ministry to include the prisoners' children who remain at home, often with abusive husbands/fathers.  They also struggle with how to help these prisoners reintegrate into society.  Sound familiar?  I will tell you more of their stories in the future; we were there to see if we could help them in their ministry.  They do have sewing machines at the prisons, and a seamstress to help train them.   They like to decorate their "cells," and so, these women, the feet of our dear Christ, are investigating whether or not I can go to the prison with them one day next week to make pillows.  If so, you must really cover me in prayer as I will be without Kathie and Rhonda and this is not an easy thing for me... having treated patients on the prison ward during my training.  I still remember the clink of the lock behind me as I entered the patient's medical ward.

But on we go.  We had a few free minutes, so decided to repack our suitcases for our trek today - leaving the Action Packers here with the sewing machines and some of our clothes so that we might be a little "lighter" in the van.  Sparing you all the details, we had figured out our mode of transportation to Berat and connected with ICA to make an appointment to deliver the sewing machines and teach about a dozen women there.  (One thing about Albania is that you must be flexible!).

Dori's finished and quilted quilt!
Later, on a trek to Dori's church to meet with her group and attempt to show them how to quilt, I got lost!  I have been all over this city all by myself and this is the first time I didn't know where I was. Oh, dear.  An hour later, we finally arrived, worked with them to adjust their machines, and told them what they must do to their quilt tops before we can "sandwich" them.  In the meantime, we started on the pillows. Whew!  Catching a cab back to the Stephen Center, we had an appointment to meet an incredible young woman.
Milena, Sharon and Migena


Migena is "just a journalist" with an incredible vision.  Remember those widows and orphans we are to care for?  Well, she is putting feet to that command here in Tirana and a surrounding community.  In the process she has met a few Christian widows who are coming along beside her, not only giving their testimonies as encouragement, but also determined to help somehow.  With her own funds, Migena has put together two meetings with widows, inviting two or three and seeing over 40 attend. While I will fill you in on more details about widows here in the future, their plight is very sad.  Apparently, it is quite common to be widowed in your 30s or 40s with young children; widows are often untrained and/or unschooled and cannot find jobs.  By tradition, they live with and are under the authority of their husband's father or brother.  Can we help?
Perfect dinner - Gloria Restaurant

Well, here is the really exciting part.  I woke up at exactly 3:11 am this morning with an incredible idea!  (At least, I think it is incredible.)  Want to hear it?  Sorry, you'll have to wait as I see if this is what the Father wants me to do!  Sewing, widows, prisoners - can we do something for each of them?  Perhaps.  While we must give them fish, we must also teach them how to fish - and I cannot go back to sleep with excitement and praise for Him - the One who makes everything work all together for good!  Please continue to pray for us as we try to finish this small sprint.  It is so good to be here... thank you for allowing us to do so in your stead.

No comments:

Post a Comment