Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter Sunday in Tirana

Gezuar Pashket!  Zoti e bekofte! (Happy Easter!  God bless you!)

Well, it has dripped, if not rained, all yesterday and today.  Bill left yesterday at about 2:45 am for his 26-27 hour long trek home and he has e-mailed me to say that he arrived in one piece.  For the first time in Albania, I feel alone.

Emiljan, me, Genta, Blerina, Klajdi
I slept after Bill left, then worked on my computer trying to organize things, then joined a friend for a trip to Lezha to spend Easter with her family.  We took a bus, then shopped for dinner, then she made an incredible bounty!  Her sister-in-law's kitchen is small, and I am not a "natural" in the kitchen, so I stayed out of the way.  We had a feast with her brother and sister and their spouses and one little niece.  Also, two cousins joined us - after dinner we relaxed watching the Albanian version of "Master Chef."  It works a little differently - they start out with 25 or so cooks, then whittle it down to one over several weeks.  It is a favorite show here, at least among the people I know.  After church, I realized I hadn't taken a photo - we are at left - Emiljan and Blerina are siblings to my friend, Genta.   Ada, Emil's wife and his daughter were home.

Watching the childrens' program
Genta's home church is the largest in Lezha, and is large compared to many of the churches I have attended here.  This celebration is combined with a much smaller Friends church in the city.

A skit by the older kids
The children put on quite a show this morning - songs and a skit about a storekeeper who was having many problems.  At the end, the girl who witnessed to him talked about "my truth and your truth" and made a very salient point quite brilliantly, I thought.  She picked up a magazine to buy, and when she was leaving without paying, she said that "For you, you are selling it, but for me it is free."  Somehow, it came off better in person.

Singing - this little girl caught my eye
According to Genta, many of the children/youth here are not affiliated with parents who attend the church.  Fabulous!  

We have talked about a Christmas bazaar in Tirana - you could pray that it "pans out."  In my dream, it would have multiple stalls for traditional, hand-made products made by villagers and disenfranchised alike - read widows and Roma.  We could have a food booth, and people walking around in traditional dress, and...  you see what happens to me over here?  While it seems like a dream to me, it sounds like it is a very doable idea to Genta!  We will pray and do what we can.

Well, I am back in my room at the Stephan Center, and making plans for a busy week.  I hope to do several sewing projects, meet with the Roma missionaries again to see if we can collaborate, and I already have a few craft projects scheduled.  I'll let you in tomorrow (if tomorrow isn't TOO busy!!).  But, for now, I will say Mirpafshim, my friends.  See you soon.






2 comments: