Thursday, October 29, 2015

25 October - Tirana, the city of 9000 steps!

Sunday, 25 October

Hummm... a city of 9,000 steps!  While most days I approach 10,000 steps, yesterday I was close to 13,500 steps (~ 5.5 miles, 13 flights of stairs, and over 2000 calories).  One glitch is that my step counter is on Pacific Summer time and my little interpreter that communicates between it and my computer is still in Arroyo Grande.  So, Charlotte B., I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to match your record!!  As far as my step counter is concerned, my “day” starts at 12 midnight PDT, which is about when I get up here.  These monumental hardships (the inability to communicate with my computer) make for good memories... (add smiling emoticon here)  Since I rarely realize when I make 10,000 steps in 24 hours, I have decided to add a moniker to Tirana that is, at least, accurate... Tirana, the city of 9000 steps!

Although we had planned a trip to Bajram-Curri last Saturday and had everything set out to pack, we unexpectedly spent the weekend in Tirana... leading to no fewer adventures.  It was particularly disappointing to miss a trip north as we had looked forward to finally going again to Bajram-Curri for months before our trip.  I learned it was also difficult for Theresa and Migena who had changed so many things to schedule this outreach and plan our visit.  We know that God had His hand on this change of plans - disappointed as we are.





Amarildo (Donna's son) Deb and Donna
 Donna works “upstairs” at the Qendra Stefan, and we have become close friends over the years, despite my poor language skills.  She has invited me to her church repeatedly and, because we stayed in Tirana this week end, we finally got to go!  This is a church begun through the efforts of Nashua, a Brazilian missionary of my vintage (she is 70) who first came here in 1992. 
Nashua met Donna’s sister at the International Hotel, eventually lived with Donna and her sister for some months, and then transitioned to her own place.  When living with Donna and her sister, the three of them started Sunday meetings, inviting whomever would come.  This home church grew slowly until now they are the only evangelical church in Kamez with a congregation that on Sunday morning numbered about 60-70 people - a large church.  People work various jobs which require them to work on Sunday, so I am told the entire congregation is much larger.  Unusual in my experience here is that the congregation was comprised of all ages from small children to grandfathers and grandmothers.  Unusual also... Nashua preached!  And, it was obvious that God spoke through her preaching... I glanced around and every face was riveted on her.  Her very presence is powerful!

This church has prayed for years for a building.  It is very common here for a church to rent a space... sometimes on the very top floor of a walk-up.  This coming summer, however, their church building should be completed through the efforts and alms of the congregation and the anonymous gifts of others.  In it, they plan a food bank, small coffee bar for the poor (with reduced prices), vocational and language classes, homework help... you name it.  I can’t wait to be able to walk inside this monumental work and marvel at the strength and glory of our Lord.

Please remember us as you go about your day... we could really use your prayers.  I know that the Republican debates are coming up soon, perhaps you could pray during the commercial breaks...

In the meantime, mirupafshem!


2 comments:

  1. Haha... Great writing, Sharon! And keep counting those steps, whatever the time zone! You are SUCH a trooper, in so many ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Charlotte... I have a good model to follow!

    ReplyDelete