Friday, October 16, 2015

The first real day... Friday, 16 October

Guess what's missing!
A traveler traveling without luggage!!  After my first flight was canceled due to weather, I was completely rerouted.  Then, my new flight from LA to Rome was delayed for a couple of hours making the lay-over in Rome something less than 30 minutes.  I figured I would be braving the first night with very few of my things as my clothes and phone were safely tucked away in the "carry-on" which I was required to check in LA because it was too heavy.  But, all my luggage finally arrived this afternoon so we are now "fully equipped," at least with all the things that were packed.  Although some might say that my mental capacity is still lacking!!!  Hopefully, after a full night's sleep things should be better in that department, too.

The weather here is strange for a Californian!  It is raining!  What is all this water about, anyway???  It is cool and absolutely delightful.  Krystal met me for breakfast... what a treat!  She raved about all those people who visited from GBC in July to help close her Kid's Center with a bang.  Although she has her eye on a new place, God will have to provide funding for rent, utilities and supplies before she will be able to move in... the space she met the kids in before was excess space in the warehouse Don rented for his business, and supplies were funded by her grocery budget.  With the move from their old center and increasing regulation here, this "double-teaming" is no longer possible.  Because they have no place for the kids to meet, her ministry has been significantly downsized for the time-being!  From my observation, this work of hers has been working amazingly well, both in evangelizing children as well as education/enrichment and provision of a loving and safe environment.  Please pray with me that her ministry needs will be met.  Krystal has such a heart for kids and their welfare/protection/education.  She sees a child made in the image of God in every child she sees - both the Roma child from "the river" as well as a child born to a more privileged family.

The rest of my day has been spent reacquainting myself with the things I packed (or remembering what was unable to fit... too much had to be left behind) and meeting with old friends.  One of my friends, a delightful lady vet who now works at "my" currency exchange shop, stepped out of her shop to close it just as I was on my way past it to Vodafone to "buy" some minutes.  We had coffee together - her mom died since I was last here, so my joy at seeing her was tempered somewhat by her obvious loss.

Please pray as I begin with a rather large group on Sunday and will be all by myself until Debbie arrives a few days later.  Remember me to God as you all worship with Jason, Justin and the crew!  This is the largest group I have met with, yet!  Falemenderit (thanks)!

Mirpafshim!  See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safely & have all your stuff! RAIN?! We've had it here, too! And we are thankful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about the rain and flooding in central CA! What a shock! Praise God nobody was hurt... from the pictures, it looked like God really did have His protective hand on all those cars.

    ReplyDelete