Wednesday, October 28, 2015

NEWS FLASH 28 October... there is no blackout in Albania!

The electricity company is still generating electricity.  The Qendra Stefan still has WiFi.  My computer is still working.  But, I must admit that I have prioritized sleep over blog-posts... sorry!  This is the fourth blog-post I have begun and I am determined to finish it before I turn in.
You can tell from the paucity of news that things have gotten a little busy here.  I could catalog all that we have done so far, but rather than that I thought I would let you know that it was a beautiful day today and Debbie got lucky... she had the morning off while I visited Lezha. 

During the  first days here, a close friend asked if I would meet one of her friends in Lezha who had asked to see me.  The itinerary for our trip changed about three times, just since Monday, as we tried to accommodate Genta's work schedule (which, in typical Albanian style was fluid).  Genta and I left the Qendra Stefan at 7 - that is, before breakfast.

As I waited for her at the Bazaar Irri across the street (for those of you who have been here, the vegetable market has a name), I watched as the area "woke up" for the day.  Despite pronouncements by Eddie Rama, "home-made" vehicles still roam the streets although in lesser numbers, hand carts are pushed among the cars, and increasing numbers of bicycles and motorcycles complicate the morning commute.  The egg company a block from the Qendra Stefan was hustling with all their eggs this morning, vans coming and going as the vendors opened their booths at the bazaar.

There is construction in the area of the "smaller" market around the corner so that the vendors from there have relocated to the main Tregu (market), making the bazaar quite crowded.  There is no parking any more beyond the market.  Rather, that area is brimming with stalls which means even more congestion as people stop to do their vegetable shopping to or from work.

Finally, I spotted Genta and we began our trek north, passing through countryside that has become familiar over the years.  The fields were green (what a sight for this Californian), the houses multi-story and built in such a familiar pattern.  I didn't get any photos, but let's see if we can find some from another trip to post another day.

Lezha is south of Shkoder so the road reaching it is fairly good.  That means that there are stretches of good, even pavement interspersed with areas where potholes abound, pedestrians line the dirt shoulders, active construction blocks lanes and stealth obstacles such as areas just jack-hammered last night to stretch a small cable across the road leaving a shallow ditch perpendicular to traffic... significant for car tires.  Anyone who drives in Albania is, in my book, VERY SKILLED!!

 Lezha is a smaller city surrounded by hills and crowned with its very own castle.  My friends promise to show me around the castle one day, noting that "their" castle is not as nice as Shokra's... I don't know, it looks pretty good to me!  We had breakfast in a lovely restaurant, the "tourist coffee bar" I'm told, open since 1926 or so... even during Communism.  The walls were lined with fowl, trophies from generations past it looks like.  There are beautiful wooden beams and floor.  The eggs were perfect, the company even better.

My new friend joined Genta and me at breakfast, then Genta left to do her "work thing."  I had the opportunity to stroll the seaside in absolutely delightful weather while learning about my new friend.  Shinjin, a coastal village/town now part of Lezha proper, is along the shore.  You can see the summer condos that will be filled beyond full in the summer but are now quite empty and very appealing.  Most of the inhabitants of the shoreline at this time of year seem to be Roma... primarily children who should be in school, asking for money from the obvious foreigner while under the watchful eye of a parent somewhere.  Oh, that God would reach down and heal these people - from their poverty and their destiny.  The small travel trailer with windows covered with cardboard or paper is most likely home to an entire family of Roma.  It is parked along the boardwalk.

While in Lezha, I heard from my friend Vita who asked if we would join them for a women's group this evening.  So, after returning to the Qendra Stefan, running a number of errands and a stealing a half-hour of rest, Debbie and I were off to Vora and a fun evening with old friends.  Most who came were members of a church I visited last spring, some were new.  After introducing ourselves, Vita shared from the Psalms, led the singing of a beautiful hymn (these women sing with such passion - such a blessing), then we settled in for the important business of the day... a craft.  The craft reenforced Vita's message... we explained the colors chosen for the Christmas ornament as we went along... dark for sin, red for the blood of our precious Savior and so on... then Vita reviewed the colors and their meanings so that the ladies could tell their significance to others when the season arrived.  To a couple it was a new concept.

Finally, after a day of errands, friendship, fellowship and travel, we got dinner.  Lunch was a fleeting thought that never materialized, so we were both famished!  Then a quick Skype conversation with Bill, and now this.

It is definitely time for some zzzz's.  Today was a typical day... although we usually have two or three full meetings rather than just one.  Tomorrow, please pray for Debbie... she will be leading two meetings on kid's crafts and children's ministry.

Naten e mire, everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment