Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday morning

Well, it has dawned sunny and warm - and humid.  The sunny and warm part I can relate to, the humid part not so much.  Another first for Albania - I have a blister on my foot.  It is somewhat of a miracle that I haven't had one before, but I walked and walked yesterday, and I could feel it forming.  That means different shoes today, and socks - then long pants to cover the socks.  Today should be a warm one for me.

I thought today I would spend a few minutes on why I do this blog.  It takes me an hour or two each day to put together my thoughts and photos, and to find things I think you might find interesting.  The purpose of this blog is multifaceted.  First, for those who have joined me on this journey - for those who pray and who have participated in its execution in so many ways - it is my way of including you on your adventure with God.  It is not "me" that is on this trip (even though I often use the first person singular for clarity), it really is "us".  The "us" includes our Abba who directs everything, but also all of you.  You know who you are - I hope you feel included on this adventure, that I provide a clear window into the experiences, hopes, disappointments, misadventures, and new sights and sounds that are here.

But beyond the "here and now," I want you to meet the people I meet.  They are such an encouragement to me, and hopefully through me to you - they love our Abba so much, they depend on Him daily, they seek His advice about seemingly trivial things, they covet His peace.  They thank Him when things go well.  They depend on Him to find a way when there seems to be a roadblock.  They share their doubts with Him - He is, moment by moment, a part of their lives.  Can we say that?  We live in such a comfortable society, one with so many conveniences and methods to control our environment, that I worry that we forget about the Creator - the one who REALLY controls our environment.  I do - too often.

Now, before my friends here say that I am glorifying them... please know that we are to encourage one another.  While we are to emulate Christ, we are also supposed to watch for examples of Him in our siblings so that we can weave those habits into our own lives to bring us closer to our ultimate goal.  What I see here is a passion - something we may have lost in the West.  As a friend related to me... in the US, we pay our electric bill by writing a check or with a few keystrokes in an electronic transfer.  Here, to pay your electric bill you have to go to the proper office (which is not always obvious), stand in a seemingly unending line without the English penchant for order, argue with the clerk about your address or the way you spell your name or some other triviality and so on until you can finally check off that errand.  By that time, it's lunch.  Then, you have to try to arrange for a telephone - another four hour task.  And, your day is consumed with what would take - generously - 10 minutes at home.  The daily task of living here is more time consuming.  As a result, perhaps, it slows everything down, allowing us to revel in the small ways that God cares for His own.  Perhaps it makes it easier to see - because it is harder to control the environment.  Perhaps it is just the cross-cultural experience that brings things into focus.  Whatever it is, my purpose is to bring before my siblings at home some examples to emulate... not to glorify anyone, but to edify the Body.

So, my writing, hopefully, will give you a window into what it's like for me.  Not that every missions trip is like this, but come along with me on this one.  How I can make this more real for you?  How can I answer those crazy questions that you have?  Do you yearn to know what it is like to confront a Turkish toilet?  Or, what to do when a Roma child looks at you asking for alms?  I've tried to answer a few of these questions here.

Now, more specifically, my friend Migena has pointed out a couple of mistakes I made in my hyperbole.  To correct them would only make things even more amazing - so suffice it to say that I apologize for passing on misinformation. 

To God be the glory - may we do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with Him!!

Mirupashen




1 comment: